So some people say why keep your blog open if you're not bothering to opine on issues of the day. And others say, go ahead, post your photos, we love them.
And I am actually caught somewhere in between the two.
As I've said before, I am just not as in love with the sound of my own voice as I used to be. I thought about that last night while desultorily watching the American Idol finale. A few years ago, I would have written a whole blog post on the AI finale. And now... well... it's not that I suddenly find American Idol not worth writing about. It's more that I feel no need to make sure the world knows what I think of it.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that everyone who blogs is in love with the sound of their own voice. There are blogs I find delightful and even profound (Sean's blog, for instance).
And some of it truly is that I now spend *so* much time with a computer on my lap, watching my words go up on the screen, that it's just not as much fun as it used to be.
But part of me thinks it could be fun again. Which is why the placeholders -- the pics I've been posting.
So bear with me. Maybe after the summer break is over, I'll find I have stuff I must say. The 10-year anniversary of 9/11 is coming up, for instance.
In the meantime, I'll be getting some more photos up by the weekend. And I hope that's enough for now...
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Janet, I came across your blog from Hogwarts Professor. I started by enjoying your HP posts, but continued to come back because you're very interesting and insightful. Enjoy the summer ... maybe you'll have an opinion on Deathly Hallows 2. ;-)
Janet - I feel ya. I get those pangs of almost-guilt for not posting. But then I go back to why I blog. I'm not out there to build an audience or make a career for myself. Instead, my blog is just a reflection of a bit of me - something I think is funny, or insightful, or simply something I want to share. If I have nothing to share on a day, I don't share, and that's no biggee. I follow your blog because I like those glimmers of what is going on in your head - not because I expect/demand a particular set of postings. So if what you want to share is a bunch of photos and/or a little radio silence - I say, bring it on.
A wise professor, with whom you may be familiar, once told me that sometimes, to get the magic back, one needs to take a break and do something else for a while. The most important thing is to make sure that you're writing with your whole heart, rather than out of obligation, since you're not getting paid for it. In any case, I don't think your fans will have a problem waiting a while to hear what you have to say when you're ready to say it.
Post a Comment