Wednesday, June 08, 2011

JUNE IS BUSTIN' OUT... OH YOU KNOW

I'm grateful to the friends who have written encouraging notes here over the last couple of weeks....  As I contemplate many future endeavors, I continue to take pictures.  Here we begin the month of June...

June 1:

The new President of next year's Executive Board of the Harvard Westlake Parents Association  (who happens to be the mom of one of Cory's best friends) invited the new board to a lovely lunch at Drago in Beverly Hills.  Given that my usual lunchery is more likely to be the Coral Tree Cafe or Islands or the like, it was quite the treat.  I learned that you can, in fact, ask for a black napkin at a restaurant like Drago, so that the fibers from your white napkin don't shed on your black pants.  (Fortunately, I was wearing white pants, so committed no faux pas.)  That's something you don't get at Coral Tree or Islands!  You also don't get a dessert like this:  Orange Black Pepper Sorbet served on a chocolate hazelnut mousse-crunchy cookie thing.  Heavenly.  I will now pepper my orange juice whenever I can.

Orange Black Pepper Sorbet on 365 Project

June 2:

Here are Sabrina and some of her friends on the quad after this year's Spring Sing.  I feel absolutely confident that I did not look this happy (or this cute) in 8th grade.

Sabrina and Friends on 365 Project

June 3:

We had some discount movie tickets waiting for us on Fandango, and about to expire.  So we ended up at Universal Citywalk, one of the few theaters anywhere near us that actually takes Fandango.  I think we were the only locals there -- we heard French, German, Hebrew, Japanese and several other languages.  I couldn't get the kids to pose for me, so I decided to blend in with the tourists and take a touristy photo for the day.

Dinner and a Movie on 365 Project

June 4:

Sabrina and I had a lovely day clothes- and shoe-shopping to get her all beautiful for confirmation.  And to my surprise, I ended up buying a dress as well.  And at the same store as Sabrina, no less.  (Free People, since you asked.)  I wouldn't take a picture of the dressing rooms (though they were lovely), but here's the lace of my new dress.  And yes, there are more interesting photos coming up.

Lace on 365 Project

June 5:

Sabrina was confirmed with 18 of her friends today.  As it turned out, she was also baptized with two of these same friends 14 years ago.  While going through some of my mom's stuff from cleaning out her condo (see the last set of pics posted), I found a church bulletin.  It turned out to be the bulletin announcing Sabrina's baptism, and also on the list were her friends Alex and Alicia, whom she went to preschool with and who were also confirmed on Sunday.  They've been together since birth, before they even knew each other!  A lovely discovery.

Confirmation on 365 Project

June 6:

Not only did Sabrina get confirmed on Sunday, but Cory got to play with TJ and the church band.  Quite an honor actually (he was the only high school student they asked for).  TJ introduced him as a "future ladykiller" which Cory found appropriately embarrassing.  I know this pic is a bit unfocused, but it's so hard to get a shot of Cory actually looking up when he's playing...

Cory with the Band on 365 Project

June 7: 

We don't have family in the area (actually, we really don't have much in the way of family at all), so it was lovely to have good friends join us for Sabrina's confirmation.  Here are Melody (Sabrina's confo mentor), Cory, "Uncle" Jack (our dear dear friend and the kids' unofficial godfather), me, Sabrina, Lee, and Sabrina's friends from school Brian, Erina and Nadia.  (Her friend Ari had to leave before the picture was taken.)

Friends at Confirmation on 365 Project

Today is the last day of school, so I'm sure the next set of photos will show summery things.  You know, like sitting at a computer, playing video games....

Come back and check!

No comments: