Reality/Talent show TV fans that our family has become, this was a big week for us. Dancing with the Stars and American Idol! Who could ask for more?
And we found both shows very satisfying. I liked the fact that in both shows, the emphasis wasn't on who was going to win as much as it was on enjoying what the season had brought us, and giving us new experiences.
Maybe it's the time I've spent listening to self-described artists who really only care about either "expressing themselves" or serving their agenda. But I loved it that both shows cared most about giving their audience a good time.
As I've said before, I love seeing the mix on the AI finals. Tony Bennett and Doug E. Fresh. Green Day and The Winans. With the balkanization of the music world (and every aspect of entertainment really, as we move more and more toward niche programming), it's so lovely to see the broadest audience being served. We all have to make a deal. I'll sit through the artist I don't care for if you'll sit through my favorites. Not a bad tradeoff.
As for the winners... it almost didn't matter. I've been an Apolo fan all along on Dancing, but the last couple of weeks Joey Fatone got my vote. I would have been happy either way. I just want to see Joey get work on Broadway now, 'cause he's certainly ready.
And we've been going back and forth between Melinda and Jordin for weeks on AI, so our shocker was last week when Melinda was voted off. We were glad Melinda got a spotlight on the show with her own song, we were glad Jordin won, but had it been Blake, we wouldn't have minded, given what a terrific performer he is. (And I have heard Cory trying to beat box behind the closed door of his room...)
So all in all, a very satisfying week of TV. Now everything fizzles to a slowdown, with weak contenders On The Lot and So You Think You Can Dance coming in as the B-team. (I'd be interested in hearing from any of you who are watching On The Lot who aren't in the biz; it feels awfully "inside baseball" to us...)
Maybe now I'll have time to finish my read-through of all of Harry Potter before July 21st...
Friday, May 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment