LaShawn Barber posted the following three questions over at Fantasy Fiction for Christians, and Travis Prinzi reposted them over at Sword of Gryffindor (my first-click for HP-related news and ponderings), and now that I'm through with the festivities and melancholies of graduation, I thought I'd do a bit of pondering and remembering myself...
1) How/when did you become a Harry Potter fan?
I received the first three books for Christmas 1999. I'd heard about them of course, but my kids were too young for the "Harry is evil" folks to register on my radar, and I only knew of the books as phenomenally successful kids' books. I was thrilled to get them, because I always like to get books for Christmas, do a lot of reading usually between Christmas and New Year's, and was happy to have 1000 pages or so waiting for me.
My writers group was headed down to San Diego for the Y2K New Year's weekend. I took the books with me, planning to read them at bedtime or other down times. And we were getting there a day or so ahead of most of the group, so more potential reading time there.
But that posed a problem. Because I got through Sorcerer's Stone that first day. Loved it, but didn't quite yet realize what I had just dipped my toe into. I was in trouble by the halfway point in Chamber of Secrets, though. Because now I was thoroughly hooked, and yet here I was with a group of 20+ people, and all I wanted to do was read.
I managed somehow. But somewhere I do have a picture from that weekend (it was on the hood of the stove at our old house) of me lazed out on a couch reading Chamber while everyone else was, I can only assume, at the beach.
Needless to say, I was a fan before the big weekend was over.
2) What was your first reaction (physical and/or mental) when you read the scene in which Snape killed Dumbledore?
My first reaction was ruined by the blabbermouths who got to the media before the book was released. I read in a little snippet in the L.A. Times (shame on them!) about two days before the book came out.
My reaction? I was intensely sad. But was I sad because of Dumbledore's death, or because I knew something I shouldn't know? I'm not sure.
I desperately hope the Legion of Spoilers out there will heed J.K. Rowling's pleas not to give away anything this time around. And I may stop reading any media whatsoever for a couple of days ahead of release day.
3) How/when will you read Deathly Hallows?
I have never been to a bookstore release party for any of the books, so I plan to go to one this year with my son (my daughter will be at camp). (Anyone have suggestions on bookstores to head to in the L.A. area?)
I will not read that night. I hope I will have the willpower not even to open the cover.
From there, we have two possibilities, depending on feasibility, affordability, etc.
Plan A: I will pick up my daughter from camp on Saturday. I will drop off my son at the bus to his camp on Sunday afternoon. And then Lee, Sabrina and I will head to some nice, reasonably posh hotel (the best Priceline has to offer!) where they will go off for daddy-daughter time, and I will sit by the pool reading-reading-reading and snapping my fingers for the cabana boy from time to time. I will read as slo-o-o-o-o-wly as possible. And then I will cry (I'm sure). And then I will start reading again.
Plan B: I will wake up Saturday morning. I will tell Lee to go pick up Sabrina from camp. I will tell Cory he has to pack his own suitcase for camp. I will curl up with the book and read till my eyes fall out. I will pause to eat whatever Lee puts in front of me, should he be so kind. Slowly. And then cry. And then reread.
And after the second read, and after Cory returns from camp, we will start our family read-through together. (Lee is hoping for a return appearance, however brief, of Delores Umbridge, simply because he likes my voice for her so much.)
How about you?
Monday, June 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
1) 1) How/when did you become a Harry Potter fan?
Only after reading books 1-5 for a second time after I read John Granger's "Looking for God in Harry Potter." His book helped me resolve my last misgivings and also opened up the riches of the books to me. From that time on, I was a diehard fan (although I was a secret and reluctant fan after reading first POA, which I still think is nearly the best book from a mystery-writing point of view).
2) What was your first reaction (physical and/or mental) when you read the scene in which Snape killed Dumbledore?
I had been forewarned by John Granger's alchemical predictions (see hogwartsprofessor.com) that Dumbledore would probably die. But when I read the moment of death, it was so understated I couldn't believe it. Like Harry, I was in shock. I cried, but only at Dumbledore's funeral when it finally seemed to sink in.
3) How/when will you read Deathly Hallows?
Starting as soon as I drive home after picking up my book at the Midnight Sale at our local bookstore. Most likely Andrew and I will start reading aloud together the next day since we love doing that. We'll probably include our kids in the reading this time around. (I remember skipping over the "snogging" parts when we read Book 6 out loud).
More than likely I'll want to discuss the book as soon as I finish so I hope the rest of you finish quick!
Neat! It's like a Harry Potter meme!
1) How/when did you become a Harry Potter fan?
I came late to Harry Potter. Somehow I missed almost the whole, early phenomenon, maybe because I was in graduate school and didn’t yet have a child! I think it was probably not long after Goblet of Fire was released that I first began reading the series. A friend loaned me Sorcerer’s Stone, but loaned me a heavy dose of literary snobbery along with it ("well, you know, it’s not Tolkien"). I hadn’t heard of the religious concerns that had been voiced by some, so that wasn’t an issue, but I admit I went into the first book highly skeptical because I knew it was so popular. I figured anything that popular must be pandering to the lowest common denominator of its audience’s taste and intelligence (how’s that for cynicism?!).
I liked the first book but it wasn’t until a few months later that I really became a fan. By then I’d had my baby, and I was home a lot with her, nursing her and getting in lots of reading time. I picked up Chamber of Secrets thinking I would finally get around to reading the second book, since I had enjoyed the first more than I expected. Somewhere in the first few chapters of Chamber, something clicked in my heart and mind and I just fell in love with the story and its characters. I read the whole thing very quickly, then went out and bought POA and GOF almost immediately. By the time I’d finished POA, I was definitely a big fan. It’s still my favorite book in the series.
The last two books have been very different for me, because I’ve waited for them along with everybody else, taken part in reading groups and discussion forums, and also come to them with a background of reading some of the secondary literature that’s sprung up – especially John Granger’s work. I found his work very early because the librarian at our seminary, where I was then working, had met him and purchased his first book on HP for our collection. I gobbled that right up and it opened my eyes to deeper qualities in the books that have enriched my many re-readings.
2) What was your first reaction (physical and/or mental) when you read the scene in which Snape killed Dumbledore?
I wasn’t stunned that Dumbledore died, because I had expected that. I was stunned, however, by the identity of his killer.
I don’t know what made me weep harder (and I did weep, sitting there on my couch) watching along with Harry as his wise and beloved mentor was blasted off the tower, or watching Snape make what I then believed to be an irrevocable choice to turn back toward evil. I know everyone has theories and speculations galore about Snape and his allegiances, and I’ve had my share, but my FIRST and immediate reaction to the scene was the feeling that Snape, who had been given so many second chances and so much forgiveness by this gentle, gracious man, had finally given into the darkness that had always been a temptation for him and made a terrible choice. When Dumbledore said “Severus, please…” I really thought he was begging him not to make such a wrong and terrible choice.
As I’ve re-read the scene since, I think my tears often come at other moments than the actual killing, especially those moments where we see Dumbledore, so true to himself and his loving nature until the very end, offering dignified speech and tangible mercy to so many.
3) How/when will you read Deathly Hallows?
I’ve pre-ordered at a local bookstore, and actually hope to get to the midnight release party with my husband (if we can find someone willing to babysit that late). We’ve never gone to one, and we figure this is our last chance!
If we can’t make it to the party, we’ll go early the next morning and pick it up as soon as the store opens. I’ve asked for a “Harry Potter Day” as much as possible, with plenty of hours just to go somewhere quiet and read. I don’t know how realistic that is, but we’ll see.
After I read it once, I will start it again and read it aloud to my husband, as that’s been our pattern with pretty much every book. I only hope I can stop myself from talking about the book with him before we settle in for the read-aloud. I’m afraid I let slip way too many spoilers before we read HBP aloud. (Probably my weeping on the couch gave away lots all by itself!).
I supposedly look like Harry Potter, so I'm going to dress up for the midnight release of the book.
Hopefully, I'll be discovered by a film producer who needs someone to play a 30-year old Harry in a movie, with American accent of course ;)
Post a Comment