Wednesday, July 11, 2007

MOVIE THOUGHTS: RATATOUILLE

I've almost been reluctant to post my thoughts on Ratatouille because Sean has already posted much more eloquent comments than I could hope to do. I'm tempted to just say "what he said."

But I must at least say from my heart what a lovely movie this is, and that Brad Bird is rapidly becoming my favorite film director.

Once again Bird has made a movie that seems to be a light frothy tale for kids and yet suffused it with greater heart and depth than most serious offerings out there for adults. There's a lot to chew on here -- the pain involved in finding what you were meant to do, the issues of where one's loyalties lie, the courage to tell the truth that no one wants to hear. And yet Ratatouille is still funny enough to keep the whole audience, including the rowdy 5-year-olds in the row behind me, in stitches.

The animation itself is stunning, a poem to the beauty that is Paris. There's simply not a visual false move to be had, every frame rich and luscious.

Ultimately the movie hinges on Peter O'Toole's majestic performance as Anton Ego, with a denouement that was both surprising and satisfying -- and some brilliant thoughts on the role of critics thrown in to give us something extra to think about.

Bottom line: Don't think this is a kids' movie because it's animated. Go see Ratatouille. C'est magnifique.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan,

And to your review I can only say the same thing you said about Sean's review--me too. I also loved this movie and will probably take my daughter to see it. The first viewing was with my wife, and I was somewhat surprised to see that we weren't the only group of adults in the theater with no children.

I especially agree with your comments about Paris--the night scenes in Paris were awesome. This film is the best one I've seen this summer.

regina doman said...

We loved this movie! Go and take the kids!
I can't believe how much my one-year-old laughed out loud at this movie, just from sheer joy.