SPOILER WARNING....
I am almost through with my second read-through of Deathly Hallows. This time, instead of the mad rush with which I propelled my way through the final chapters, I am making myself stop after every chapter, the better to think, to feel, to savor. I know there are things I totally missed in the final battle, and as I approach it (Neville just came through the secret door into Aberforth's place, is where I am), I want to pay real attention.
But I have been TOTALLY LOVING reading all your favorite moments! After each one, I want to jump and down and say "Yes! That one, too!" Yes! to "Albus Severus." Yes! to Hermione's explanation of the I Corinthians passage, and to her explanation of the soul to Ron earlier on. Yes! to Potterworld. Yes! to Harry digging Dobby's grave by hand, and to "Here Lies Dobby, a Free Elf." Yes! to Ron destroying the Locket, and what it took him to do it. And of course, of course, Yes! to Neville proving he's a true Gryffindor.
Basically, what you all said (and are still saying). Yes.
I do feel some pressure to start posting something with more content (ha! not really, Travis, I am honored to be linked to...). But I'm finding so much less of a need to analyze this book, and more of a need to savor it (yes, I know I'm repeating the word. It's the right word.)
I will analyze. I've started wondering what it would take to do the complete and final catalog of all the set-ups and payoffs. (The research for what became my book happened when I was laid up for two months with a black widow spider bite and pneumonia in fall 2005.) And I want to talk about themes. Soon. Very soon.
However, for now, still savoring. And so grateful to you all for pointing out all the things in which to take delight.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Savor is the perfect word. I was trying to do just that during my first read, but it was impossible. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, and all the while I'm thinking - Slow down you idiot and savor this. Once you finish, that's it. Stephen King said, "No ending can be right, because it shouldn't be over at all. The magic is not supposed to go away." Well, I don't think the magic goes away, but it's never quite the same again.
Post a Comment